Teaching children from 2 to 4 years old a foreign language?
This is the age when the child begins to build sentences and tell something. You may stumble upon a protest – the kid’s refusal to listen and speak in a foreign language. In this case, you need to start learning with motivation.
In order for a child to want to learn a foreign language, he must be interested in it. To do this, you can turn on cartoons in target language (to get used to the speech). Also, don’t forget about your child’s interests, come up with fun and addicting games. Connect everything he loves into the game – this way it will be easier for him to tune into the desired wave.
In addition, if a child begins to learn foreign language from the first years of life, then the chances that he will speak it without an accent will increase.
Many parents and teachers use the tactics of combining visual, auditory and tactile perceptions, allowing the child to hear, see and touch the subject whose name needs to be learned. This method helps to speed up the memorization of new words and expressions and encourages the child to study new material, as he will be interested in learning more and more names of his favorite things.
There are reasons to begin teach children from early age:
– the child perceives information well;
– baby’s attention and memory are directed to learning new things;
– lessons cause positive emotions and awaken interest in a foreign language;
– the child learns two languages at once.
Be sure to praise!
Don’t forget that absolutely everyone makes mistakes, especially in such a difficult task as learning a foreign language. Don’t forget to praise children even for small victories, this is how motivation for further learning arises in them. You will notice that the child will become more diligent and hardworking. Focus on the positives, not the mistakes.
7 Tips for Parents
- You can’t force a child to sit and study. The learning process should take place in a free form and in an easy environment. For preschoolers, play and music activities are suitable.
- All the words that you say should mean familiar concepts to the child (body parts, furniture, fruits and vegetables, what he sees on the street, “magic” words, etc.). You should not try to teach your baby about abstract phenomena and complex words.
- Pay attention to what the child is drawn to and what interests him at the moment, and use this hobby in the game in another languages.
- Remember to praise and encourage your child. You should not scold him for a mistake, but you should definitely praise him for his achievement.
- Watch cartoons with your child, read poems and fairy tales to him in a foreign language.
- Be ready to learn by yourself and do not be lazy to deal with your child. After all, if you devote a few minutes to the language once a month, you will not see the result, and if you yourself do not know how to pronounce this or that word, do not confuse the baby and entrust this matter to professionals.
- Maintain the interest in another languages. To do this, play funny games with child. It is good if he perceives these activities as a fun pastime with mom or dad.
Children’s language abilities
For learning foreign language to be effective, the child must hear it often. For this, the baby must be immersed in the desired language environment and create comfortable conditions, that is, not to force him to repeat words and not impose anything. At first, the child will just listen, play games, and then start talking.
Learning begins with babies learning to understand speech by ear. Through listening, they perceive information and prepare to respond to what they hear. The more often children hear foreign speech, the faster they will speak and the easier it will be for them to build the necessary intonations and correct grammatical constructions.
Our Language Lab Academy teachers’ job is to show children that classes can be fun and to make them want to learn language. After all, when a child is interested, he will not have to be persuaded – he will happily go to classes, play and complete tasks.
The benefits of studying at the Academy:
– classes in a relaxed atmosphere;
– diversified development of children;
– immersion in the language-speaking environment;
– professional teachers;
– quality control of education;
Language lessons at school take place in a playful way and live communication. Exciting and fun activities will help your child develop communication skills, improve vocabulary, build correct pronunciation and learn to communicate in a foreign language.