In today’s society, giving your child the necessary tools needed to be successful in all faucets of life is imperative. Competition for schools and various careers are extremely high. In order for your child to stand out above the stack of resumes, he/she needs to have additional skills to set them apart. Below are the top 5 reasons you should make sure your child learns a second language!
- Better Memory and Concentration: Juggling multiple languages gives your child a mental workout! As a child learns a second language, their muscle memory grows stronger which helps boost retention and their ability to focus.
- Higher Test Scores and Comprehension: Studies show kids who speak multiple languages perform better on test. Learning a foreign language also helps them increase their reading comprehension and vocabulary skills.
- Increase Culture Awareness: Kids who learn multiple languages have an increased culture awareness, which allows them to have more empathy and tolerance of other people.
- Better Problem-Solving Skills: Learning a foreign language allows children to be more creative and think outside the box. Because kids are constantly using more brainpower, their ability to think abstractly increases.
- Easier to learn other languages: Because babies’ brains are like “sponges”, their ability to acquire a new language is much easier. Research shows babies start to focus in on the sounds that occur in their native language at age 8-12 months. By focusing on their native sounds, they start to lose the ability to make distinctions between other sounds. Therefore, it is preferred that children be exposed to a second language as early as possible.